top of page

What to do when someone dies

When someone dies and you need to arrange a funeral we are here for you from the first phone call to guide and support you. 

​Depending on where the person has died there are different steps to take:

  • ​An unexpected or sudden death should be reported to the emergency services. Call 999 so the police or ambulance service can attend to confirm the person has passed away. If the deceased person has not seen their usual GP in the last 14 days, the police will arrange for the coroner to bring them into their care to carry out any necessary investigations into the cause of death. Once the coroner has discussed any underlying known causes, including medical history, with the deceased’s GP, then they will confirm if a post-mortem examination is required. If the coroner is investigating the individual’s death, we can still take care of the funeral arrangements as soon as you feel able.


  • For deaths at home that were expected, you should contact the deceased's doctor or 111 to notify them of the death. A doctor is required to verify the death, if the death occurs out of hours an on-call doctor or senior nurse can do this. A doctor needs to issue a medical certificate of cause of death (MCCD), which you will need when you register the death. Once the doctor has verified the death you can contact us and we can arrange for your loved one to be brought into our care.


  • When someone passes away in a hospital or hospice it is usually expected. When death occurs the hospital will issue the medical certificate of cause of death (MCCD) and they may even be able to assist you in registering the death.

There are times when death occurs in a hospital or hospice that a coroner needs to be involved. This may be due to accident or injury whilst staying in hospital/hospice or even death involving industrial disease such as asbestosis.

bottom of page